Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve had the honor of chatting with many men and women from our thriving senior community. Mount Pearl has an incredible aging population, some of which are people who have lived their entire lives in the same neighborhood within Mount Pearl North. Many of these seniors continue to volunteer, remain an active member of their community and even continue to work.
While going door to door and meeting with this important part of our community, I have heard several times that people love Mount Pearl, their neighborhood and the life that they’ve built – and they want to STAY! Unfortunately, I’ve also heard about some major issues, which I have found extremely concerning.
Some of the issues I’ve heard while meeting with seniors:
– Private Senior communities can have a wait list of 10 – 15 years
– Increasing taxes and rising utility bills, while set incomes remain fixed
– Health Care and Dental Plans that fall short for senior needs
– Lack of options for home care support
We absolutely need to care for our seniors. We need to ensure our housing development plans, wellness programs and health care services work for older adults, while being both accessible and affordable to all seniors.
Here is what I commit to:
- Advocating for and supporting affordable senior housing development, including working with the city to move such projects forward via provincial and federal funds.
- Demand the end of regressive taxes and service cuts by the Dwight Ball’s Liberal budget, that aim to burden individuals that are most vulnerable
- Demanding that the burden of Muskrat Falls created by the Conservatives not fall on the shoulders of seniors with fixed incomes
- Supporting wellness and social programs that support the independence and well being of seniors by pushing for increased funding for provincial wellness grants
- Increasing opportunities for Home Care support options, through community coalitions
Senior issues are incredibly important to me, as they are for many residents in Mount Pearl North. If you’d like to chat more, please don’t hesitate to stop by my campaign headquarters or call @ 738-0008. Your feedback means the world to me.